Dr. Narimah Samat
- Areas of Specialisation
- Topics for PhD Students
- National/International Service
Geographic Information System (GIS); Urban and Land Use Planning; GIS and Socio-Economic Application (Health & Poverty)
(as a project leader only, 2010 onwards)
- Narimah Samat (Project Leader), Modeling Urban Growth Boundary and Its Impact on Communities and Environment, Grant Awarded as Best Research Project under Fundamental Research Grant Scheme 2011 by Ministry of Education Malaysia, RM 140,000.00 (January 2015 – January 2018).
- Narimah Samat (Project Leader) Spatial Inequalities: Framing Phenomena, Formulating Policies, Research University Team (RM500,000), July 2013 – July 2017.
- Narimah Samat (Project Leader), Modeling and Identifying Sustainable Urban Growth Boundary: A Study on Georgetown Conurbation and Its Impact on Urban and Peri-Urban Ecosystems, Fundamental Research Grant, Minister of Higher Education, Malaysia, RM50,000.00. Completed.
- Narimah Samat (Project Leader), Aishah Knight Abd Shattar, Yen Siew Hwa, Suriati Ghazali, Saidatul Akmal Mohd, Nabiha Abdul Khalid, Wan Mohd Muhiyuddin Wan Ibrahim dan Norsa’adah Bachok. Breast, Cervical and Colorectal Cancers: A Geographical Analysis Of Case Distribution And Their Relationship With Service Facilities. Research University Grant, RM 183,461.02. Completed.
- Narimah Samat (Project Leader), Suriati Ghazali and Fatimah Hassan, Land use changes at the peri-urban area and its impact on local community, Research University Grants, RM 96,000. Completed.
(2013 - 2016 only)
- Muhamad Amirul Mahmud, Narimah Samat & Norzailawati Md Noor (2016) Identifying Factors Influencing Urban Spatial Growth for the George Town Conurbation, Planning Malaysia, Vol 14, 2016 [Scopus-cited Journal].
- Norhidayah Harun & Narimah Samat (2016) GIS-Based Multicriteria Evaluation Approach in Planning Tourism Development Sites in Environmentally Sensitive Areas, SHS Web of Conferences 23, 02001 (2016) [Scopus-cited proceedings]
- Khalid Sabbar Mohammed, Yasin Abdalla Elhadary & Narimah Samat (2016) Identifying Potential Areas for Future Development using GIS-Based Multicriterua Evaluation Technique, SHS Web of Conferences 23, 02003 [2016) [Scopus-cited proceedings]
- Khoo Suet Leng, Nurwati Badarulzaman, Narimah Samat, Morshidi Sirat & Sharifah Rohayah Syeikh Dawood (2015) Creative cities research in Penang, Malaysia: A Review of Conceptual and Methodological Framework, Planning Malaysia: Journal of the Malaysian Institute of Planners, Vol XIII, 1-18 (scopus-cited Journal]
- Oliver Valentine Eboy & Narimah Samat Modelling property rating valuation using Geographically Weighted Regression and Spatial Regression Model (SRM): The Case of Kota Kinabalu Sabah, Geographia Malaysian Journal of Society and Space, 11 (11) 98-109.
- Yasin Abdalla Eltayeb Elhadary & Narimah Samat (2015) Integrating Geographic Information System and Discriminant Analysis in Modelling Urban Spatial Growth: An Example from Seberang Perai Region, Penang State, Malaysia, Asian Social Science, Vol. 11, No. 2; 2015 [Scopus-Cited Journal]
- Khalid Sabbar Mohamad, Yasin Elhadary & Narimah Samat (2015) GIS and Remote Sensing Techniques for Measuring Agriculture Land Loss in Balik Pulau Region of Penang State, Malaysia, Asian Journal of Agriculture and Rural Development, 5(2)2015, 30-41.
- Aishah Knight Abd Shatar, Siew Hwa Yen, Narimah Samat, Adamu Ahmad Rufai, Wan Abdul Mana Wan Muda, Venkata Murali Krishna Bhavaraju (2014) Lifetime Physical Activity and Breast Cancer Risk, A Case-Control Study in Kelantan, Malaysia, Asia Pacific Journal of Clinical Oncology, Vol 10 (suppl.9), 191-191. [ISI-Cited Journal], impact factor 1.658.
- Narimah Samat, Ghazali, S., Hasni, R. and Elhadary, Y.Journal of Social Sciences and Humanities, Vol. 22 (3). 2014. [Scopus-Cited Journal].
- Oliver Valentine Eboy & Narimah Samat (2014) Development of Poverty Valuation Model for Tax Purposes using Ordinary Least Square Method, International Journal of Environment, Society & Space, 1 (2) 52-62, 2014.
- Narimah Samat[ISI-Cited proceedings]
- Narimah Samat, Suriati Ghazali, & Colonius Atang (2014) Awareness and Knowledge of Cancer: A Community Survey in Kedah and Perlis, Asian Social Sciences, V
- Narimah Samat & Aishah Knight Abd Shattar (2014) Spatial Accessibility of Colorectal Cancer Patients to Health Care Facilities: An Example from Kelantan State, World Applied Sciences Journal, 31 (10), 2014. pp 1772-1782. (Scopus-Cited Journal)
- Najat Qader Omar, Mohd Sanusi S. Ahamad, Wan Muhd Aminuddin Wan Hussin, Narimah Samat, & Siti Zubaidah Ahmad, (2014) Markov CA, Multi Regression and Multiple Decision Making for Modeling Historical Changes in Kirkuk City, Iraq, Journal of the Indian Society of Remote Sensing, 2014. Indexed by ISI (Impact Factor – 0.344). Accepted for publication.
- Najat Qader Omar, Mohd Sanusi S. Ahamad, Wan Muhd Aminuddin Wan Hussin, Narimah Samat, & Siti Zubaidah Ahmad, (2014) Markov CA, Multi Regression and Multiple Decision Making for Modeling Historical Changes in Kirkuk City, Iraq, Journal of the Indian Society of Remote Sensing, 42 (1), 2014. pp 165-178. [Scopus-Cited Journal] (Impact Factor – 0.344).
- Narimah Samat & Norhidayah Harun (2013) Urban Development Pressure: Challenges in Ensuring Sustainable Tourism Development in Langkawi Island, Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences 91 ( 2013 ) 385 – 394. [Scopus-cited proceedings]
- Narimah Samat, Aishah Knight Abd Shattar, Yasmin Sulaiman, Azizah Ab Manan & Chan Ngai Weng (2013) Investigating Geographic Distribution of Colorectal Cancer Cases: An Example from Penang State, Malaysia, Asian Social Sciences Journal, Vol. 9, No. 17, December. 2013. [Scopus cited journal]
- Suet Leng Khoo, Narimah Samat, Nurwati Badarulzaman, Morshidi Sirat, Sharifah Rohayah Sheikh Dawood, (2013) Spatial Mapping of Creative Industries in Creative Cities: The Case of Penang, Malaysia, Humanities and Social Sciences Review, 2(2):151–169 (2013)
- Khoo Suet Leng, Narimah Samat, Nurwati Badarulzaman & Sharifah Rohayah Syeikh Dawood, Penang Towards Becoming a Creative City: Challenges Faced by the Architecture Industry, International Journal of Environment, Society & Space, 2013, Vol 1(1), pp1-11.
- Yasin Abdalla Eltayeb Elhadary, Narimah Samat, and Franklin Obeng-Odoom, (2013), The development at the peri-urban area and its impact on agriculture activities: An example from the Seberang Perai Region, Penang State, Malaysia, accepted for publication by Agroecology and Sustainable Food, Taylor & Francis. [ISI-cited journal]. Narimah Samat
- Narimah Samat, Aishah Knight Abd Shattar, Oliver Valentine Eboy, Suriati Ghazali, Norsa’adah Bachok & Yen Siew Hwa (2013) Spatial distribution of breast and cervical cancer incidences in Kelantan: A Geographical Analysis, Jurnal Geografi, Jilid 1, Bil. 1 2013.
PhD (Research Mode - Graduated)
- Samer Hatem Raddad, Assessment of Urban Expansion and Agriculture Land use Change in Ramallah Metropolitan -Palestine by Using Geo-Information Technology, PhD, Graduated, 2011. Co-supervisor.
- PhD, KHALID SABBAR MOHAMMED, Urban Expansion, Development Pressure and The Perception of the Local Communities: The Application of Geographic Information System (GIS) and Remote Sensing (RS), Graduated 2014 Main Supervisor.
- PhD, NAJAT QADER OMAR, Markov-CA and Multiple Decision Analysis for Modelling Land Use and Land Cover Change in Kirkuk/Iraq, Graduated 2014 Co-supervisor.
- PhD, SHAHARUDIN BIN IDRUS, Urban Growth And Relationship With The Livability Satisfaction In Seremban, Negeri Sembilan, Malaysia, Graduated 2014 Co-supervisor.
- PhD, COLONIUS BIN ATANG, Sociocultural Elements in the Geography of Health: A Behavioral Study of Dealing with Cancer Among the Malays in Pulau Pinang and Kedah, 2014, co-supervisor, Graduated.
- Oliver Valentine Eboy, The Effectiveness of Spatial Statistics in Property Rating Valuation Modelling: A Case Study of Kota Kinabalu City Hall, Graduated 2015. Main Supervisor.
PhD (Research Mode – on-going)
- PhD, HAFIZAH BINTI ROSLI, Analysis of Housing Ownership among Civil Servants in Malaysia, Main supervisor.
- PhD, MOHD AMIRUL BIN MAHAMUD, Agent-Based Modeling and Simulation in Predicting Urban Spatial Growth, main supervisor
- PhD, LEE YI YI, Physical Activity and Nutritional Status among Adults and their Relationship with Physical and Built Environment in Kota Bharu and Penang, Malaysia, co-supervisor
- PhD, MOHAMMAD GHAZI BIN ISMAIL, Efficiency Of Non Revenue Water (NRW) Management In Increasing Water Security In The State Of Kelantan, co-supervisor.
- PhD, MOHD AZMEER BIN ABU BAKAR, Spatial Inequality of Ecosystem Changes and Natural Assets: Challenges towards Sustainable Livelihood, co-supervisor.
- PhD, ROSMIYATI BINTI HASNI, Modeling Housing Land Use Changes in Penang, Malaysia, main supervisor
HGT222 – Techniques in Geography
HGT321 – Geographic Information Technologies
HGT341 – Geography Research Method and Fieldworks
HGG511 – Selected Topics on Sustainable Cities and Communities
HGT514 – Research Methods
HGT511 – Geographic Information Sciences
HGT513 – Research Methods and Database Management
HGT523 – GIS in Business and Service Planning
- 9 – 12 June 2016, Fellowship in the ASEAN Science Leadership Program, Global Young Academy, Ban Saen, Thailand.
- 10 Jan 2014 – 10 June 2014, Visiting Research Fellow, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Universiti Brunei Darussalam.
- Excellent Service Award 2014, Universiti Sains Malaysia, 2014.
- Excellent Service Award 2010, Universiti Sains Malaysia, 2010.
- Excellent Service Award 2006, Universiti Sains Malaysia, 2006.
- Fellowship, Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan, Association of Commonwealth Universities, to pursue PhD in University of Leeds, United Kingdom 1999-2002.
- Modeling Land Use Changes using Geoinformation Technology
- Sustainable Land Use Development using Geoinformation Technologies
- GIS in Poverty Mapping and Analysis