Dr. Salasiah Che Lah
- Areas of Specialisation
- Topics for PhD Students
- National/International Service
- Language attitudes
- Language Maintenance and Language Shift
- Minority and Indigenous Languages
Bilingualism; Language Choice and Language Use; Language Maintenance and Language Shift; Indigenous Languages
- A Study of Working Women’s Health Status in relation to Lifestyles, Long Term IRPA Grant, RM700,000.00, Rashidah Shuib, Asma Ismail and researchers from USM Kelantan, Intan Osman and researchers from USM Penang, Khadijah Shamsuddin and researchers from UKM and Chee Heng Leng and researchers from UPM, October 1999 - December 2002.
- On Defining the Model of Spatial Distribution of Melanau Language Family along Rejang-Baram Rivers, Fundamental Research Grant Scheme, RM65,500.00, Salasiah Che Lah, Suriati Ghazali, Ruslan Rainis, Tarmiji Masron, Salfarina Abd Ghafor, Alias Abd Ghani and Azimah Sazalie. November 2002-October 2004
- Multiliteracies in Education: Research and Development Perspectives with a Focus on Forms of Literacy in English in Schools in Malaysia, Long Term IRPA EA Category 8th Malaysia Plan, RM171,880.00, Ambigapathy Pandian, Gitu Chakravarthy, Salasiah Che Lah, Sarjit Kaur, Shanti Balraj Baboo and Sunny Tan, June 2003 – May 2005
- English Language Use among Undergraduates in USM: A Survey, Short Term IRPA Grant, RM9693.00, Salasiah Che Lah and Sarjit Kaur, July 1999 – December 2001
- Assessing Students’ Perception of Being Bilingual and Biliterate: Implications for Educational Provisions in the Malaysian Context, Short Term Grant, RM15500.00, Salasiah Che Lah, April 2002 – November 2004
- A Study on Syntax, Lexical Items and Morphological Processes in Bintulu/Ba’e Language, Short Term Grant, RM18635.00, Azimah Sazalie and Salasiah Che Lah, January 2003 – December 2004
- Multimedia Documentation of Endangered Indigenous Languages, Knowledge and Cultures of Orang Kanaq in Peninsular Malaysia: Towards a Model of Language Endangerment, Fundamental Research Grant Scheme, RM60000.00, Salasiah Che Lah, Mahani Musa, Alias Abd Ghani, Zarina Samsuddin, Toh Seong Chong and Azizi Bahauddin, October 2007 – October 2010
- 8. Warisan Alam dan Budaya dengan Memfokus kepada Kawasan Utara Semenanjung (Pulau Pinang, Perlis, Kedah dan Utara Perak), USM RU Grant, Abu Talib Ahmad and academic staff of School of Humanities, 31 October 2007 – 30 September 2010
- 9. Sustaining the Environment Through Indigenous Ritual practices: A Case Study of Lun Bawang Community in Lawas, Sarawak, USM RU Grant, RM99,433.23, Azimah Sazalie, Azlena Zainal, Salasiah Che Lah and Shantrol Abdullah, 1 May 2009 – 30 April 2011
- 10. Documentation And GIS Mapping of Linguistics And Cultural Diversity Of Endangered Negrito Sub Group of Orang Asli of Peninsular Malaysia, USM RU Grant, RM99,905.00, Alias Abd Ghani, Azimah Sazalie, Azizi Bahauddin, Narimah Samat, Salasiah Che Lah and Zarina Samsudin, 15 June 2010 – 15 May 2012
- 11. Establishing the Definitive Isoglosses of Lexico-Phonological Variation of Semai Orang Asli Language, FRGS Grant, RM82,000.00, Alias Abd Ghani, Salasiah Che Lah and Tarmiji Masron, 1 October 2010 – 31 August 2012
- 12. Conceptualising Local Knowledge: A Study of Sustainable Values in Local Wisdom and Indigenous Science, LRGS Grant, RM7,750,962.00, Omar Osman, Badaruddin Mohamed, Salasiah Che Lah, Norizan Esa, Mohd Omar Bidin, Leela Rajamani Ramnath Rajamani, Wan Izatul Asma Wan Talaat, 1 August 2012 – 31 July 2016
- 13. Investigating Domain Analysis in Language Choice and Language Shift of the Banjarese and Cocos Malay Speech Communities in Malaysia, Salasiah Che Lah and Alias Abd Ghani, RM122,000.00, 15 December 2012 – 14 December 2015
- Salasiah Che Lah, 1996, Language Attitudes towards English and Language Proficiency in English among Malaysian Students: A Sociolinguistics Study of Penang Island, University of Reading, UK, 383 pages
- Sarjit Kaur and Salasiah Che Lah, 1999, Language Learning Strategies of Malay University Students: An Exploratory Study, Journal of Humanities, USM, 6, 98-118 (also appear in Jayakaran Mukundan and Teh Chee Seng (eds), 2002, Trends in English Language Teaching: Selected Papers from the Malaysia International Conference on English Teaching (MICELT) 1996 and 1998, Serdang: Universiti Putra Press).
- Intan Osman, Norita Deraman and Salasiah Che Lah, 1999, The Impact of Work and Health on Working Women’s Lifestyle in an Electronic Manufacturing Organisation, The 3rd Asian Academy of Management Conference Proceedings, 1, 146 –155.
- Sarjit Kaur and Salasiah Che Lah, 2000, The Sociocultural Development of Mature Learners, Jurnal Dewan Bahasa, 44(10), 1087-1095.
- Ambigapathy Pandian, Gitu Chakravarthy and Salasiah Che Lah (eds), 2003, English Language Teaching and Literacy: Research and Reflections, Serdang: Universiti Putra Press, 213 pages
- Ambigapathy Pandian, Gitu Chakravarthy, Sarjit Kaur, Shameem Rafik-Galea, Salasiah Che Lah and Chong Larry D (eds), 2004, Perspectives on Computers in Language Learning, Universiti Sains Malaysia, 395 pages
- Salasiah Che Lah and Sarjit Kaur, 2003, English Language Use Among Undergraduates in University Science Malaysia: A Survey, The ACELT Journal Ateneo de Manila University, Philippines, 7(1), 46 – 62.
- Yazan Abdel-Aziz, Salasiah Che Lah and Ambigapathy Pandian, 2005, A Conceptual Model of EFL Teachers’ Inservice Training Course Effectiveness: The Influence of Course Content on EFL Teachers’ Abilities and Performance. In Ambigapathy Pandian, Muhammad Kamarul Kabilan and Sarjit Kaur (eds), 2005, Teachers, Practices and Supportive Cultures.
- Salasiah Che Lah et al., 2006, The Spatial Lexical Variation and Distribution of Melanau Language, Fundamental Research at Universiti Sains Malaysia 2002-2005 Volume 3 (Arts), pp.82-101
- Hassan Obeid Alfadly, Alias Abd Ghani and Salasiah Che Lah, 2006, Roots and Pattern Morphology in Mehri Qishn Language, Proceedings of O-COCOSDA International Conference on Speech Database and Assessment: The Emergence of Oriental Spoken Language Corpora – Towards Innovative Strategy and Technology, Universiti Sains Malaysia, 173-176
- Salasiah Che Lah et al., 2007, The Spatial Lexical Variation and Distribution of Melanau Language, The Sarawak Museum Journal, vol.LXIII9941-64.
- Khaled Awadh, Munir Shuib and Salasiah Che Lah, 2008, Tense and Aspect in Soqotri, GLOSSA: An Ambilingual Interdisciplinary Journal, vol3 No 2, 511-527
- Toh Seong Chong, Zarina Samsudin, Salasiah Che Lah, Mahani Musa, Azizi Bahauddin and Alias Abd Ghani, 2008, Smart Use of Multimedia Technology to Highlight the Plight of Orang Kanaq: Malaysia’s Most Endangered Ethnic Group of Orang Asli, Proceedings of the 2nd International Malaysian Educational Technology Convention, Kuantan Pahang
- Hiba Qusay Abdul Sattar, Salasiah Che Lah and Raja Rozina Raja Suleiman, 2009, Iraqi Postgraduates' Production and Perception of Requests: A Pilot Study, The International Journal of Language, Society and Culture, Issue 29: pp56-70.
- Hiba Qusay Abdul Sattar, Salasiah Che Lah and Raja Rozina Raja Suleiman, 2010, A Study on Strategies Used in Iraqi Arabic to Refuse Suggestions, The International Journal of Language, Society and Culture, Issue 30: pp81-95.
- Alias Abd Ghani and Salasiah Che Lah, 2010, Language Choice and Shift of the Kensiu Orang Asli Community of Ulu Legong, Baling. Proceedings of the International Conference on Linguistics, Literature and Culture, Universiti Sains Malaysia, 10 – 14.
- Hiba Qusay Abdul Sattar, Salasiah Che Lah and Raja Rozina Raja Suleiman, 2011, Refusal Strategies in English by Malay Students. GEMA Online Journal of Language Studies, vol 11 (3): pp69 – 81.
- Hiba Qusay Abdul Sattar and Salasiah Che Lah, 2011, Intercultural Communication: Iraqi and Malaysian Postgraduates’ Requests. Issues in Intercultural Communication, vol 3 (1): pp65 – 82.
- Hiba Qusay Abdul Sattar and Salasiah Che Lah, 2011, A Study of Compliment Responses in English among Iraqis Postgraduates. In T. N. Maasum, Z. Amir, N.M. Nor, T. C. Choon, N. Abu Bakar and F. Hashim (eds).Classroom practices in ESL and EFL contexts: insider perspective (pp.122 – 138). Serdang: UPM Press.
- Hiba Qusay Abdul Sattar, Salasiah Che Lah and Raja Rozina Raja Suleiman, 2011, Investigating English language proficiency of Iraqi Arabic speaking postgraduate students. In M. Shuib, A. Zainal, N. Abdul Aziz and M. Z. Othman (eds). Issues on skills and competencies in education. (pp63 – 79). Pulau Pinang: USM Press.
- Alias Abd Ghani, Salasiah Che Lah and Fazrul Azmi Zulkifli, 2011, Kensiu’s Native Lexical Items – Natural and Language Heritage Under Threat? Malaysian Journal of Environmental Management, Vol.12(1): pp59-71.
- Mohd Kipli Abdul Rahman, Saad Othman, Zuraidah Yusoff, Salasiah Che Lah, Tarmiji Masron, Norizan Esa, Nurul Farhana Low Abdullah, Darlina Md Naim & Mardiana Idayu Ahmad, 2012, The APEX University: Second Phase. USM.
- Liu Han & Salasiah Che Lah, 2013, Investigating the Reliability and Validity of Chen and Starosta’s Intercultural Sensitivity Scale (ISS) against Chinese Cultural Background. English Square, 3: 115-118.
- Alias Abd Ghani, Salasiah Che Lah, Zarina Samsuddin, Azizi Bahauddin, 2014, The Bateq Tribe of Kampung Orang Asli Sungai Berua and Sungai Sayap, Terengganu: The Minorities of the Minority of Indigenous Group of Orang Asli in Peninsular Malaysia. In Mohamad Rashidi Pakri, Nurul Farhana Low Abdullah and Salasiah Che Lah (eds), 2014, Reengineering Local Knowledge: Current Issues and Practices. Pulau Pinang: Universiti Sains Malaysia Press.
- Salasiah Che Lah and Alias Abd Ghani, 2014, Investigating Domain Analysis in Language Choice and Language Shift of the Banjarese Speech Communities in Malaysia, Conference Proceeding of Contemporary Issues on Linguistics and Language, Eastern Mediterranean Academic Research Center, Istanbul, Turkey, 77-83.
- Mohamad Rashidi Pakri, Nurul Farhana Low Abdullah, Salasiah Che Lah, 2014, Reengineering Local Knowledge: Current Issues and Practices. Pulau Pinang: Universiti Sains Malaysia Press.
- Salasiah Che Lah & Norizan Esa, 2014, Conservation of Traditional Herbs by Malaysian Healing Practitioners. Prosiding Seminar Pemuliharaan dan Pemerkasaan Pengetahuan Tradisi: Melestari Legasi Pengetahuan Tradisi.
- Salasiah Che Lah, 2014, Ethnic Tourism: A Case Study of Language and Culture Preservation of the Bateq Indigenous Group of Orang Asli in Peninsular Malaysia. SHS Web of Conferences, 12:01071, EDP Sciences.
- Salasiah Che Lah and Norizan Esa (eds), 2015, Ilmu, Tradisi dan Kelestarian dalam Kearifan Tempatan. Pulau Pinang: Universiti Sains Malaysia Press.
- Salasiah Che Lah, Norizan Esa, Leela Rajamani Ramnath Rajamani, Badaruddin Mohamed, Mohd Omar Bidin, Omar Osman, Wan Izatul Asma Wan Talaat, 2015, Conserving Local Knowledge in Traditional Healing through Knowledge Transfer. SHS Web of Conferences, 18, EDP Sciences.
- Warinthip Kaenin Sisamouth and Salasiah Che Lah, 2015, Attitudes towards Thai, Patani Malay and English of Thai Undergraduates: a Case Study at Prince of Songkla University Pattani Campus, Thailand. Procedia-Social and Behavioural Sciences, 208:240-252, Elsevier.
- Alias Abd Ghani and Salasiah Che Lah, 2015, The Semang Kensiu Orang Asli of Lubuk Legong, Baling: Their Language and Cultural Endangerment. Procedia-Social and Behavioural Sciences, 208:21-30, Elsevier.
- Norizan Esa and Salasiah Che Lah, 2015, Amalan Menuntut Ilmu dalam Kuda Kepang. In Salasiah Che Lah and Norizan Esa (eds), 2015, Ilmu, Tradisi dan Kelestarian dalam Kearifan Tempatan. Pulau Pinang: Universiti Sains Malaysia Press.
- Badaruddin Mohamed, Salasiah Che Lah and Noor Azam Azmi, 2016, Kepintaran Emosi Adiguru Nik Rashiddin Nik Hussein: Pemindahan Ilmu Kearifan Tempatan melalui Teladan dan Pemikiran. Innovation in Humanities and Social Sciences: Opportunities and Challenges. Kuala Lumpur: Penerbit UPNM.
- Salasiah Che Lah (forthcoming). Penterjemahan Teks Linguistiks. In Goh Sang Seong (ed.) (forthcoming) Eksplorasi Terjemahan Teks Teknikal dan Separa Teknikal. Kuala Lumpur: Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka.
MA MIXED MODE SUPERVISION
- Lim Teck Heng, MA (mixed mode), 2001, An Evaluation of the KBSM English Language Syllabus: Has the Syllabus Produced Communicatively Competent Students?, 1 supervisor (main)
- Mahani Mansor, 2002, The Relationship between Beliefs about English Language Learning and Performance in Oral Tests: A Case Study, 1 supervisor (main)
- Marina Abdul, 2002, The Relationship between Gender, Attitudes and Proficiency in English: A Study of Selected Schools in Perak, 1 supervisor (main)
- Hassan Obeid Abdulla Alfadly, 2003, The English Language Needs of Medical Undergraduates at Hadramout University, supervisor’s representative
- Praprut Bunyarit, 2005, The Attitudes of Foreign English Teachers Towards Thai English: A case Study of Songkhla Province, Thailand, 1 supervisor (main)
- Thilagaraj a/l Kandiah Muniandy, 2005, An Investigation of the Use of Critical Thinking Skills by Malaysian Students When Writing Essays in English: A Case Study, 1 supervisor (main)
- Goon Phooi Kheng, 2005, A Study of the English Language Needs of Intelectually Gifted Students in Penang, supervisor’s representative
- Nidhia a/p Voralu, 2006, A Study on the Use of Oral Activities in Teaching the English Literature Component to the Secondary School Students, 1 supervisor (main)
- Thulasi Jayam a/p S. Kothandabhany, 2007, A Study on the Attitudes of Mathematics and Science Teachers towards a Shift of Policy in Secondary Schools in Taiping, Perak, 1 supervisor (main)
- Abdulla Musa Salam Al-Sawalha, 2008, A Study of Chechen Language in Al-Sukhna City in Jordan, 1 supervisor (main)
- Mingkhwan Julwanna, 2008, Self-efficacy and Gender Differences in English Reading: A Study on Senior Students at Prince of Songkhla University, Hatyai Thailand, 1 supervisor (main)
- Alison Banu a/p Arul Nathan, 2008, A Study on the Perception of Teachers and Students on the Curriculum of Maths and Science in English in Selected Rural Secondary Schools in Penang, 1 supervisor (main)
- Budiman Sabry Ahmad, 2008, Out-of-class English Language learning Strategies Employed by Malay part time learners of UiTM Penang, 1 supervisor (main)
- Alex Devadass a/l Ranjan Devadass, 2010, Language Maintenance and Language Shift among Tamil Christians in Tamil Methodist Church in Penang , 1 supervisor (main)
- Isma Noornisa Ismail, 2010, An Investigation on the Patterns of Lexical Influence from Local Malacca Dialect to Baba Malay (main)
- Arbaeyah Hassan, 2011, Willingness to Communicate (WTC) in English Among International Students : A Case Study of the Intensive English Programme at School of Languages, Literacies and Translation (main)
- Ira Syazwani Zainal Abidin, 2011, Oral Communication Apprehension in English Among Form Four Students of SMK Pangkal Kalong, Kelantan (main)
- Nor Alifah Rosaidi, 2012, The Patterns and Functions of Code Switching, Code Mixing and Borrowing in the Selected Malaysian Songs (main)
- Christopher Arulsamy, 2013, Language maintenance and language Shift among the Tamil Community in Sungai Pari, Ipoh
- Janaki Veerasamy, 2013, Relationship between Speaking Anxiety, Students’ English Language Learning Interest and Home Language among Students of Different Ethnicity
- Kalaivani Kalimuthu, 2013, Code Switching as a Factor in Language Shifting among Tamil Students at Universiti Sains Malaysia
- Syahmi Zainal Azhar, 2013, Gender Differences in Language Use: A Sociolinguistic Study of Malaysian Radio Hosts
- Kartini Kamaruzzaman, 2013, A Study of Language Shift among the Siamese Community in Kpg Begia, Sik, Kedah
- Shareena Ahmadsha, 2013, Language Shift among the Indian Muslim Community in Georgetown, Penang
- Siti Norfatini Mohd Nor, 2014, Language Choice among Indigenous Students at SMK Chiku 2, Gua Musang, Kelantan
- Muhamad Syakir Abdul Wahab, 2016, Language Use in Billboard Advertisements in Selected Locations in Malaysia.
MA BY RESEARCH
1. Theresa Louise Faust, 2002, Early Detection of Language Difficulties in Young Malay-background Children: Implications for School Preparations, 2 supervisors (co-supervisor)
Ph.D BY RESEARCH
1. Sarjit Kaur, 2003, Investigating Academic Achievement and Student Evaluation of Teaching Effectiveness in Higher Education: A Case Study, 2 supervisors (co-supervisor)
2. Hassan Obeid Abdulla Al-Fadly, 2007, The Morphology of Mehri Qishn Dialect in Yemen, 2 supervisors (main)
3. Yazan Abdel- Aziz Semreen al-Wreikat, 2008, The Effectiveness and Influence of the EFL Teachers’ In-Service training Courses on the EFL Teachers’ Performance in Jordan, 2 supervisors (main)
4. Khaled Awadh Omer Makhashen, 2009, Morphological and Syntactic Aspects of the Soqotri Dialect of Galansiyah, 2 supervisors (co-supervisor)
5. Akbar Solati, 2010, Sources and Patterns of Spelling Errors of Persian English Language Learners: An Interlanguage Study, 2 supervisors (main)
6. Sachithanantham a/l Tachinamoorthi, A Study of the Attitudes and Motivation of TESOL Trainee-Teachers Towards the Learning of English in Selected Teacher-Training Colleges in Peninsular Malaysia (co-supervisor, not completed)
7. Hiba Qusay Abdul Sattar, Iraqi Postgraduates' Production and Perception of Requests in English: A Pragmatic Study, 2 supervisors (main)
8. Saleh Ali Nuri Abdalla, The Relationship between Social Context, Self-Confidence and Willingness to Communicate in ESL among Arabic-speaking Students in Malaysia, 2 supervisors (main)
9. Rokiah Mohd Som, Functions of Teacher Code-switching in ESL Classroom, supervisor (main, not completed)
10. Liu Han, Cross-cultural Communication and English Language Learning, (main)
11. Yvonne Michelle Campbell, The Figurative Language of Oral Traditions: A Study on the Bau-Jagoi Bidayuh, (main, not completed)
12. Warinthip Kaenin Sisamouth, Use Of Thai (L1) And English (L2) In Teaching English As A Foreign Language In Thailand (main, on-going)
13. Tahat Abdel Razzaq Mohammad Alii, A Sociolinguistics Study on the Source of Meaning And Cultural Factors Affecting Jordanian Surnames (main, on-going)
1. Lee Mei Ph’ng, MA, 2001, An Investigation of Ethnic Speech Markers in the Phonology of Malaysian Learners of English, USM
2. Siri-on Rattana Udom, Ph.D, 2002, An Investigation of the Teaching of English in Thai Classroom, USM
3. Kam Su-Ning, MA (mixed mode), 2003, A Morphological Analysis of the Use of Words in Text Messages by Users of the Short Messaging System: A Case Study, USM
4. Hassan Obeid Abdulla Alfadly, 2003, MA (mixed mode), The English Language Needs of Medical Undergraduates at Hadramout University, supervisor’s representative
5. Ghayth K. Shaker, MA (mixed mode), 2004, An Investigation of Bilabial Stops /p/ and /b/ in the Phonology of Arabic Speakers of English: A Case Study of Libyan, Yemeni and Iraqi Postgraduates at USM, USM
6. Goon Phooi Kheng, 2005, MA (mixed mode), A Study of the English Language Needs of Intelectually Gifted Students in Penang, USM
7. Boey Lai Kuan, MA (mixed mode), 2005, An Exploratory Study on the Use of Computers among ESL/EFL Students in Selected Colleges in Penang, USM
8. Norzilah Mohd Yusof, MA, 2005, The Relationship Between Self-Efficacy, Learning Styles and the Reading Motivation of ESL Learners, USM
9. Selvamurthy a/l Arumugam, MA, 2005, A Study of the Social Factors which Contribute to Reading in English Language among Sixth Formers in Selected Secondary Schools in the District of Bukit Mertajam, Penang, USM
10. Sarojinee a/p Karuppiah, MA, 2005, A Study of the Attitudes and Motivation of Form Four Students towards the Learning of English in Selected Schools in Kedah, USM
11. Leong Mi-Chelle, MA (mixed mode), 2006, An Analysis of the Morphology of Complex Nouns in the Malaysian University English Test (MUET) Reading Comprehension Texts, USM
12. Sanada anak Jaki, MA (mixed mode), 2006, A Study of Factors Affecting the Reading Habits of Form Four Students in Selected Schools in Sarawak, USM
13. Ahmed Maher Awad Ali Abdel Aati, MA (mixed mode), 2007, Phonological Variability in the Production of the English Fricatives // and // by Egyptian Speakers of English, USM
14. Candice Marie Clarke, MA (mixed mode), 2007, Analysing the English Language Needs of Human Resource Staff in Two Multinational Companies in Penang, USM
15. Aabdalla Nahar Fankheer Alharafsheh, MA (mixed mode), 2007, The Use of the English Adjectives among Jordanian EFL Students in Al-Albeyt University: An Error Analysis, USM
16. Lau Chun Kwong, MA (mixed mode), 2007, A Study of Lower Six Science Students’ English Language Learning Strategies aand the Influence of Gender and Ethnicity on the Selection of Learning Strategies, USM
17. Kavitha Chaddachram, 2008, MA (mixed mode), Contextualising Vocabulary Instruction: The Effectiveness of Using Advertisements in Teaching L2 Vocabulary, USM
18. Sajedh Ghazi Banimelhem, 2008, MA (mixed mode), An Analysis of the Passive Construction in the Verses of the Holy Quran from the Semantic and Syntactic Perspectives, USM
18. Zainul Hawari Hambali, 2008, MA (mixed mode), A Study of Teachers’ Code-Switching Practices in the English Classroom in Selected Secondary Schools in Taiping Perak, USM
19. Maged Hussein Mahmoud Jawarneh, 2008, MA (mixed mode), Error Analysis of Spelling Mistakes of Primary School Students in Al-Aqaba City Jordan, USM
20. Kang Hooi Yeong, 2009, MA (mixed mode), A Study on the Effectiveness of Combining the Lingua Franca Programme with Structural-patterns Drills in Teaching Simple Verb tenses to Upper Primary School Pupils
21. Atef Saleh Habshan Al Tamimi, 2010, Ph.D, Investigating English Target and Learning Need: A Study of Petroleum Engineering Students at Hadramout University of Science and Technology, USM
22. Rais Ahmed Al-Timimi, 2010, Ph.D, Socio-economic Perspectives of Language Learning Motivation: The Case of Yemeni EFL Undergraduates at the Hadramout University of Science & Technology, USM
23. Fazrul Azmi Zulkifli, 2010, MA (mixed mode), A Study on Language Endangerment of Kensiu Orang Asli of Baling, USM
24. Abdelgawad Ahmed Mohamed Alastal, 2010, Ph.D, A Study on the Academic English Language Target Needs of the Faculty of Applied Science Undergraduates at Al-Aqsa University, USM
25. Malani Ganaphathy, 2011, PhD, Analysing Effects of the Multiliteracies Approach on Continuous Writing Performance of ESL Students in a Chinese School in Penang: Teachers’ and Students’ Perceptions, USM
26. Che Rushita Ismail, 2011, PhD, Analysing Strategic Communication and Collaborative Efforts of Malaysian ESL Learners in Face-to-face Oral Interaction, USM
27. Sharifah Nur Hamizah Syed Fesal, 2011, MA (mixed mode), Analysing ESL Lecturers’ Attitudes Towards Using ICT in English Language Teaching and Learning: A Case Study in Universiti Teknologi MARA
27. Mahdieh Navehebrahim, 2012, MA (mixed mode), An Investigation of the Production of Voiceless and Voiced Dental Fricatives in the Phonology of Persian EFL Language Learners
28. Omar M. Ali Alhadeedy, 2012, MA (mixed mode), An Investigation of Consonant Clusters of English Onset and Coda in the Phonology of Iraqi Speakers of English
29. Azrul Shahimy Mohd Yusof, 2013, MA (mixed mode), Language Choice and Shift among the Orang Asli Semang Kintaq Community of Kampung Bukit Asu, Gerik Perak
30. Nadzirah Hakim Md Yussof, 2013, MA (mixed mode), Language Use in Online Communication: A Case Study of Selected English Blogs by Malaysian University Students
31. Izyan Syazwani, 2013, MA (mixed mode), Language Use in Online Communication: A Case Study of Selected English Blogs by Malaysian University Students
33. Nawal Abas, 2013, PhD, Using (Im)politeness Strategies to Achieve Social (Dis)harmony: A Pragmatic Analysis of LM Montgomery's Anne of Green Gables
34. Han Hongmei, 2013, PhD, The Integration of Grammar in English Language Teaching: A Study of Hebei University EFL Teachers Beliefs and Practices
35. Nor Ashikin Ab Manan, 2014, PhD, The Effects of Direct Instructions of Academic Formulas (DIAF) on the Receptive Knowledge of the Target Academic Formulas (TAF) and the Academic Writing Performance among Diploma Level Students
36. Li Rui, 2015, PhD, An Investigation into Motivation and Pragmatic Competence of Chinese EFL Learners
37. Hanan Hasan Abdul-Razzaq Al Radhi, 2016, PhD, Representation of the “Self” and “Other” of Arab Spring Reporting in CNN and AJE’s Online News Articles
38. Rawshan Ibrahim Tahir, 2016, PhD, Pragmatic Competence of Iraqi Kurdish EFL Learners: An Interlanguage Pragmatic Study of Apology Speech Acts
39. Kadrey Lamjan, 2016, MA (mixed mode), A Domain Analysis of Language Use and Language Shift of Minority Cocos Malay Community in Tawau, Sabah
1. Melyza Pakianatham, MA, 2013, The Use of Malaysian English in Robert Raymer’s Short Stories, Universiti Malaya
2. Yasser Issa Mohammad Al-Shboul, PhD, 2013, Interlanguage Refusal Strategies in English among Jordanian EFL Learners at UKM
3. Ala’eddin Abdullah Ahmed Banikalef, PhD, 2014, Speech Act Analysis of Facebook Status Updates Among Young Arab Jordanians, Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia
4. Norma Saad, PhD, 2015, Linguistic Politeness and Refusal Strategies: Comparing Malay Speakers of English and Native Speakers of English, Universiti Utara Malaysia.
5. Amizura Hanadi Mohd Radzi, 2016, The Influence of Content Schemata on Reading Among ESL Learners, Universiti Utara Malaysia
|Course code||Course title||Semester||No of lecturer|
|HXE 209||Linguistics I (Phonology and Morphology of English)||Semester I Level 200||2|
|HET 227||Morphology and Syntax of English||Semester II Level 200||2|
|HXE 306||Sociology and Psychology of Language||Semester I Level 300||2|
Semester ILevel 300
|HXE 205||Language Learning Theories||Semester II Level 200||1|
|HXE 302||Linguistics II (Syntax and Semantics of English)||Semester II Level 300||2|
|HET 521||Psychology and Sociology of Language||
Semester II Level 500
1. Language Maintenance and Language Shift in Minority Speech Communities
2. Language Choice and Language Use in Multilingual Societies
3. Attitudes towards Code-switching and Code-mixing in Multilingual Societies
Member, Malaysian English Language Teaching Association (MELTA)
SERVICE TO THE UNIVERSITY
- Acting Chairperson for English Language Section, 1 April-31 December 2000
- Programme Chairperson for English Language Section, 1 January 2001-31 October 2002
- Programme Co-chairperson for USM-Tuanku Bainun Teacher Training College TESOL Programme, 2002
- Acting Chairperson for English Language Section, 18 May 2011 – 31 Dec 2011
- Member, The Social and Welfare Club Committee for Centre for Languages and Translation, 1997-1998
- Member, The International Conference on Translation Committee, 1997
- Member, The Social and Welfare Club Committee for School of Humanities, 1999-2000
- Member, The Launching of Academic Books Committee, 2000-2001
- Member, The 30th Year Celebration of School of Humanities Committee, 2000
- Member, The Royal Commencement Dinner Committee, 2001
- Member, The Second International Conference on Literacy (LitCon2001) Committee, 2001
- Member, The National Seminar on Quranic Heritage Committee, 2001
- Member, The Editorial Board for School of Humanities Annual Report Committee, 2001-2002
- Member, The Mutiara Bahasa National Public Lecture Series Committee: Professor Emeritus Tan Sri Awang Had Salleh, 2002
- Member, The Third International Conference on Literacy (LitCon2003) Committee, 2003
- Member, The International Seminar on Al-Hadith Heritage Committee, 2004
- Member, The Multiliteracies in Education Workshop Committee, 2004
- Member, The Third AsiaCALL International Conference (ASIAC@LL) Committee, 2004
- Member, The International Higher Education Policy Research and Management Forum 2006 Committee, 2006
- Member, The Global Higher Education Forum Malaysia 2007 Committee, 2007
- Member, Going Places with English Language: A Workshop for Pre-University Students, 2007
- Member, Sponsorship Committee for Humanities Week, 2007
- Member, International Conference on Linguistics, Literature and Culture (ICLLIC2010), 2010
- Member, Postgraduate Workshop 2010: Navigating the Research Journey, 2010
- Member, Phonetics and Phonological Awareness Programme for Primary School Teachers, July 2011
- Member, PPIK Research Committee, Oct 2011 – Dec 2012
- Member, PPIK Community Day, Oct 2011
- Member, USM Code of Good Practice for Postgraduate Education, March – Dec 2012
- Conference Chair, The 2nd International Conference on Linguistics, Literature and Culture (ICLLIC2012), Nov 2012
SERVICE TO THE COMMUNITY
1. Adjudicator, National Poetry Reading Competition in conjunction with National Language and Literature Month 2002, National Rehabilitation Centre, Drug Agency Centre, Sungai Petani Kedah, Ministry of Home Affairs, 30 October 2002
1. Advisor, Fund Collection for Presentation of Cheques to Charitable Organisations, ELLS Final Year Students 2001, USM, March 2001
- Adjudicator, the Vice Chancellor Cup’s Semi Final Debates, 2000
- Speaker for The Study Skills Courses, School of Humanities, Semesters I and II 2001/2002; Semester I 2004/2005
- Speaker during the Students’ Visit from Kyong Ju University, Korea, USM International Research and Literacy Unit, 1-8 July 2002
- Speaker for Welcoming Session for Students from Chubu University, Japan, 2002
- Committee Member, Gambier Heights Resident Association, Gambier Heights Apartments, Penang, 2002
- Member, Parent and Teacher Association, Minden Heights Primary School, 1997-2002
- Facilitator, English Language Class for Support Staff at School of Humanities, 2003
- Member, Parent and Teacher Association, St Georges Girls School, 2003-2005
- Member, Parent and Teacher Association, Koperasi Tadika Minden, USM, 2003-2005
- Adjudicator, USM Inter-school English Elocution Contest for Deputy Vice Chancellor (Student Affairs) Challenge Trophy, 2004/05
- Adjudicator, USM Inter-hostel Competition of Cleanliness and Landscape, 2005
- Member, Parent and Teacher Association, MARA Junior Science College, Balik Pulau, Penang, 2006-2007
- Member, University Academic and Administration Staff Association, 1990-present
- Member, Parent and Teacher Association, Minden Heights Primary School, 2005-2010
- Facilitator for Understanding Text and Public Speaking Skills for School of Humanities Year One Students, 2006
- Educational Visit to Prince of Songkhla University, Thailand, 4 – 6 January 2009